Saturday, February 13, 2010

Gary L. and Paula Packer

Gary L. and Paula Pearson Packer

New mission president
Published: Saturday, Feb. 13, 2010

Seven new mission presidents and their wives have been called by the First Presidency to begin their service about July 1. The only couple I know are my sister, Paula, and her husband, Gary. Here's the brief biological sketch as it appeared in the Church News of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints:

Gary Lowell Packer, 59, and Paula Pearson Packer, five children, Democratic Republic of Congo Lubumbashi Mission; Compton Bench Ward, Farmington Utah North Stake. He serves as the executive secretary to the Area Presidency of the Africa Southeast Area and is a former temple missionary in the Johannesburg South Africa Temple, real estate missionary in the Africa Southeast Area, bishop, high councilor and missionary in the Franco-Belgian Mission. Retired corporate vice president and commercial department manager, First American Title Insurance Agency of Utah. Born in Brigham City, Utah, to Lowell Wight and Dorothy La Venna Marble Packer.

Sister Packer serves as the assistant executive secretary to the Area Presidency of the Africa Southeast Area and served with her husband in the Johannesburg South Africa Temple and Africa Southeast Area and is a former ward Relief Society president and counselor, ward Primary president, counselor in a ward Young Women presidency and ward Relief Society teacher. Born in Provo, Utah, to Glenn Laurentz and Ardith Amelia Hunsaker Pearson.

This newly created mission is considered a 'hardship mission' so the period of service for my sister and her husband will be 2 years rather than the customary 3 years. What does that mean? It means they probably won't get to shower or eat normal food for 2 years. They may live in a flat with dirt floors and have to carry water in buckets from a shared source. Shared with crocodiles, lions, hyenas and other dangerous wildlife. Probably...

I'm Karl, and I can't wait to begin hearing how things go for them.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karl,
    I am a guy from the place where your sister is going to serve her mission. Let me tell you that big will be your surprise. Your sister won't be living in flat ful of dirt as you think, she won't be sharing a pool of water with dangerous animals. I want you to come and visit them if you could. Sister Packer will have a chance to meeting sivilised, and carrying people like me
    Kot Flavien, From Lubumbashi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brother Kot Flavien from Lubumbashi.

    Please understand that my humour is somewhat obscure and when I added the word, "Probably..." to the end, it meant I was not serious. We are sure you will help see to it they are well taken care of.

    Thank you for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me brother Karl,
    English is my third language, actualy I am a French speaking guy. I didn't pay much attention to the word "probably", this would reflect all your humouristic sense in French as well if much attention could be paid. Me and my Wife just laught after we read your second comment. I sensed it, but I couldn't be sure since such comments have been made by missionary president who was from Salt Lake City. He made me laugh when he told what image of my country he used to have by the time him and his wife had their calling. He is a Doctor so he wanted to come with everything which could protect him against germs, Mosquitos, he even thought of bring a respiratory mask.
    I hope you will understand.
    Thank you, Kot Flavien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my sons's mission just got changed to this new mission. Maybe I shouldn't ask, but please tell me about this place. Kot Flavien. Help me to understand about your native country. Will a blond unexperience young boy be safe?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son is definitely going to be safe.
    Please remember, his calling is from the Lord Jesus through his servent the prophet. Reading your post made me understand that you realy care for your son. Your son will come back to you in one piece, just keep in mind that your son is going to be an ambassador of Christ, he will get from him all the support he needs. Church members out here are very friendly. You son, as the first white missionary to ever serve in this newlly mission is going to do a very successful missionary work. His companions will see in him a blessing from heavenly father.
    Some few years ago we had a young missionary from US, his name was Elder Royal, every member wanted to invite him to his home. We have almost any type of food and fresh fruits. The weather is a bit different, if he comes from Utah.
    So you have nothing to worry about.
    Kot Flavien.

    ReplyDelete